Monday, April 6, 2015

Research Project 3

Rafael Lozano-Hemmer

This artist interested me because of his wide range of work. The first piece that I looked at of his was the Voice Tunnel project done in New York City where people could record themselves saying whatever and then it was projected into the tunnel. A light would also signal that their voice was being played. As each new person recorded a sound, their voice would start traveling to the end of the tunnel. I really like hearing the purpose behind this project, which was supposed to say something about freedom of speech. He also mentioned that this project was a way to show community and to bring people together, which I really enjoy because I feel like this is what we are trying to accomplish with our third project. If my project brings people on this campus together, if even just to look at it, then I have done something right.


I was also interested in Rafael's other project titled Open Air, which was very similar to the Voice Tunnel by attaching voices with lights but this was on a larger scale. In this project, Rafael set up a bunch of lights in Philadelphia that could be seen from 10 miles away. People could go into a website or on their phones and talk about anything they wanted for 30 seconds. Anyone could access the website but the people closest to the lights got priority for which stories would be projected. The lights also got brighter or dimmer depending on how loud the voice was. This project was also one that brought the community together and sent a message about freedom of speech. Once again, I really enjoy Rafael's ideas about bringing the community together and I hope to reflect that in my last project.


Jenny Holzer

Jenny Holzer also really interested me with her projections. She took an empty gallery and filled it with words, bodies, and light. This idea is similar to Rafael's idea in that she is using light and words to create a community and bring people together. Her words just happen to be made by the light instead of you hearing the words along with seeing the light. Jenny stated, " I show what I can with the words in light and motion in a chosen place, and when I envelop the time needed, the space around, the noise, smells, the people looking at one another and everything before them, I have given what I know." I really liked her idea of getting people in a space and getting them all to focus on one thing. I would like to use this idea of getting a community into a space.


No comments:

Post a Comment